10/20/2017

Using a MISTI to Watercolor Images Stamped in Water-based Inks

Happy Friday!  Today's card is for the color challenge this week at CAS Colours and Sketches.
The colors are:
I used two Altenew stamps - Wild Hibiscus for the main image and More than Words for the sentiment.

I wanted to watercolor the flowers and leaves but I only had water based ink in the challenge colors.  That could be a problem - trying to watercolor inside an image stamped in water based ink will cause the outline to bleed.
You can use this to your advantage.  I used my MISTI to stamp the images in the Flirty Flamingo and Lemon Lime Twist.  I left the stamps on the lid of the MISTI and removed my image.
Using a paint brush and a little water I began to color the image.  I pulled some color from the inked outlines and also used the re-inkers with water to add stronger color to the flowers and leaf.  You need to be careful and not use too much water - too much will cause the lines to bleed outside the image as well.

I returned the image to the MISTI and stamped over it in the navy.  This creates a beautiful watercolored look inside the the flowers with a crisp outline.  The MISTI makes this so easy - it may be my all time favorite tool in my craftroom.  It has changed how I create.

I did the same process for the butterfly and then die cut it using the coordinating dies.  The butterfly is popped off the base using foam dots.  After stamping the sentiment, I used washi tape and just a few sequins to add a little bit of interest.

Stamps and dies: Altenew Wild Hibiscus, More than Words
 
Thanks for stopping by today.  I hope this weekend finds you being creative!

Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instgram.  Sign up to be notified by for email for my latest blog posts.


post signature

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful card! Love the striped border and wonderful use of the colors! Thanks for playing along with us at CC&S!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card and thanks for the tips for the water colouring. Will be giving it a go when I have a chance. Thanks for joining us for this week's CC&S challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is gorgeous! Thanks for taking the time to explain the way you colored the images. They turned out terrific! Thanks for sharing with us at CC&S, and good luck in the DT call! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully CAS and loving the stamps and layout you have used for the challenge colours. Lovely to see you in the CC&S gallery and trying out for the DT too :) Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your card and design ... and thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete